Jeremiah 29:11 ~~
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD,
thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.



God's Word for you Today

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Crossroads

If you always hear pastors / preachers telling you that Jesus has been tempted in every way possible as a human, yet without sin, and that he has been through all your suffering and pain in life and can identify with you, I would like to tell you that it's true. At any point of your life, whatever situation or circumstances you face, just think the ever famous abbreviation -- WWJD (What would Jesus do?) and put Him in your shoes. He wears all sizes. He's the only One whose size fits all. Or should I say, He fits into all sizes.

I've titled this post "Crossroads" because this is what we face most frequently. Decisions. Choice. What would you do? What should you do? Why? How will it turn out to be? Well, Jesus was at the greatest crossroads ever. I can't say if it's the greatest crossroads of human history, just trying to make it sound big, but I'm sure it was one of the toughest, if not THE toughest choice to make. It was at the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus waged an intense prayer warfare against spiritual darkness, against His flesh and Himself, and said, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done." Luke recorded in his gospel that "...being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground."

Jesus was at the crossroad of obeying the Father and giving up His life as a ransom for the whole mankind, or resisting this will and continue living His life. If He continued on, I'm sure beyond any doubt that He will preach to many more, heal many more, cast out more demons, perform more miracles, bring many more to salvation, etc. Yet, it was God's timing and purpose for Him to die so that even people beyond His time can believe and be saved. So, on one hand, Jesus would suffer excruciating pain and death, but He will save mankind. On the other, He would preserve His life so that He could continue to achieve greater success in ministry and impact the whole Israel, but He will not be remembered beyond His time; He will just be another prophet who has passed by in the Israelite's history.

Mankind at the expense of His own flesh and blood, or livelihood in the expense of short term achievement.

What is the "more right" thing to do when all the paths at the crossroads are right?

Many times in life, we face crossroads like this, where all the paths are right. There is no right or wrong to a decision, only whether it will lead you to greater, better results than the other.

We ask the Lord, "God, what is Your will for my life? Tell me, is it A, or B, or C?"

And He says, "Whichever way you take, I will bless you."

And many times when He says that, you know that you know, right deep down in your heart, what is your decision, and whether that decision is pleasing in God's eyes. "How do you know?" you might ask. My answer is... "You know that you know. Listen to that still small voice in your heart."

There are crossroads in life that involve the decision of the people around you. They may have made a choice to move on to a different path than yours, and you are somewhat affected by it. Never a day has passed that I did not think of the question, "What about me?" I'm not asking it in a self-centred way, but merely saying, what would my decision be? What would be the "more right" thing to do, for myself? I wouldn't say I can just suck it all up and pretend that other people won't cause me to falter, but I have learned that no matter what happens, I'll just have to stick to the promises of God.

Would I give up my life for many others to live, or save myself so that some others can live? I'll choose the former.

I'm not noble or able. I'm just saying, it would be the "more right" choice. And I will want to choose this.

How do I walk down the path I have chosen? By looking steadfastly and steadily at Jesus, who has paved the highway for me. Already I'm seeing new favour and blessings, even divine protection coming on me. Surely His grace is sufficient for me, just as His mercy is new every morning. Thank You, Lord. I will hold on to You. Because You never fail.


Your joy makes everything complete. I love You, Lord.

No comments: