Jeremiah 29:11 ~~
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD,
thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.



God's Word for you Today

Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Samaritan woman at the well (2)

Jesus said in John 4:14, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life."

John 4:15 -- The Samaritan woman said, "Sir, can I please have this water, so I won't thirst again and don't need to come here to draw water?" She's actually saying, "I want this water. I don't want to come here at noonday to draw water anymore. It's so hot at this time. I only come at this time because no one else will come at this time. It's the way I'm avoiding all the women in this city, because they are always gossiping about me..."

Gossiping about what? Precisely what Jesus said next in v17 & 18: "You have well said, 'I have no husband,' for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly." She was an adulteress.

I used to think, why did Jesus risked having this woman just walk away and become closed up from His preaching of salvation? I didn't understand why Jesus could have uttered such offensive words to this woman who was going to receive Him as the Messiah, to expose her of her sins and ugliness of her personal life. Of course, it was also amazing that even with such offensive words, Jesus still gained her trust and belief.

But did you know that of the Armour of God written in Eph 6:13 - 17, there was only one weapon mentioned and all other equipment were defensive. The Word of God is the sword of the Spirit. It is offensive. It cuts, but it cuts away everything that hinders the work of the Lord.

So this woman was practically saying, "I want the living water, because then my sins will not be exposed." But it was really the opposite. If she were to obtain the living water, she's got to have her sins cut off.

Hence, if we were to receive the Holy Spirit, to fill our lives with His living water that will empower us to be a fountain and let that water flow to others, we've got to let the Word of God cut off every sin and impurity in us that hinders the work of God.

When Jesus said that the water that we received from him will spring up into everlasting life, it means more than just having salvation and eternal life when we accept Him as our Saviour. It should also mean that we have become a channel for His living water to flow, we have become a channel for His Kingdom to make manifest on earth as it is in heaven. If we are to declare His Kingdom on earth, then we cannot be practicing things that will not inherit the Kingdom of God (Gal 5:19 - 21). But if we know the Word, if we know Jesus, we will bear the fruit of the Spirit.

Again, in John 6:35, Jesus said, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst."

He was saying, "in Me, you will find wholesomeness for you life."

No comments: