Jeremiah 29:11 ~~
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD,
thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.



God's Word for you Today

Monday, January 11, 2010

Trip to Ipoh

It's the 11th hour, and I'm sitting here writing this when I have other writing assignments to work on, feeling like I don't have enough time. I know it's been a while since I last updated a post, but here it is, I've got to start somewhere to get it going again...

I got myself a freelance writing job for a property magazine and I'm supposed to do write-ups for them, reviewing buildings, properties, projects and all kinds of stuff that you can categorise as property. It's not exactly like how I thought it would be -- it's pretty complicated... For starters, it doesn't pay well, or so many people think, which got me thinking too, and got me thinking, why didn't I think about this before? Bro says I'm just lacking of experience. I wish I knew how to handle this and not be ignorant about things, but well, experience is experience, and it needs you to go and get it... For once, I actually felt that writing wasn't my kind of thing anymore, that I don't think it's what I want to do or should do... I don't know...

To tell the story of the title, I have to thank 2 people: Cally and Chrysler. And thank God for friends. They drove me all the way back to Ipoh to interview a client and get information for my assignment (which is underpaid). Really really super thank them and thank God for such friends and bro & sis-in-Christ. It was a good trip, good weather, nice people that I met with and gave me scores of details about their development project.

It's called The Haven -- like how I named one of the family mansions in one of my stories (Catherine a.k.a. The Golden Locket). For the first time in my life as an Ipoh girl, I found out that there is such a beautiful place in my hometown, and it's only about 10 minutes' drive from my own house! Will upload a pix on the spot when I can...

Anyways, this old uncle who is the director of this developer company was really passionate about his work. He explained extensively about every detail of the project, from the tiles to the railings, to the trademarked swimming pool shaped like a seahorse, to the scenic pond, to the lush green all around and the natural habitat at that spot, to the eco-friendliness of the whole project, etc etc etc... I can almost see a spark in his eyes -- such was his passion. And thank God, he is slow in explaining, so I had ample time to scribble my notes.

I hope I got all I need to write this very long piece, which brings me back to the crux of the matter -- why am I doing this? Why the hassle at a dirt cheap rate? Am I like what they say, being exploited? I really don't know. What I do know is that I really give thanks that I'm still in one piece and I have not placed myself in a position to endanger myself. Because initially, the magazine people wanted me to go with their ex-colleague, who is a guy of dunno how old. Well, they didn't tell me I was to go with this guy (whom I have never met, a total stranger) when they first introduced this piece of assignment to me. They just asked me if I could go to Ipoh, and that someone would go with me, and that all the expenses will be borne by the publisher. And they also didn't tell me that for this project, I was to write like 25 - 30 pages. (All this at the dirt cheap rate? Go figure!) And they also didn't tell me I was to submit it in a week's time, on top of the given 3 assignments.

If experiences come this way, I give thanks, because now I really know that there are times that my judgements fail me and I could easily place myself in a disadvantageous position. If experiences have to come by this way... I have nothing to say, except that I have acted recklessly and foolishly. To say that desperation has pushed me this far, maybe. To say that I lack discretion or I am just ignorant, perhaps very much truthful. But what I am to do about this situation, I have yet to come to a conclusion.

But I shall have to move on. And to move on, I shall welcome a new day by closing this present one. Lord, Your goodness and mercies are new every morning.

No comments: